Monday, January 4, 2010

Almonds Kulfi

Almonds kulfi is one of my favorite desserts and so is my daughter's.Kulfi is better to me in several ways and one of them is that there is no use of eggs unlike ice creams.Even though we are non-vegetarians still I try to keep my kitchen untouched with non vegetarian items that includes mixing or touching other things with non-vegetarian hands.I know it sounds ridiculous but my MIL is a big time God fearing lady and believes that non-vegetarian and vegetarian items should be kept separately.For hygienic reason I also prefer the same.
Cutting the idea short I want to say that when my daughter eats ice cream made with eggs she definitely spills few drops here and there which is not acceptable in our house.With this kulfi recipe I do not have to worry about all these and she can also eat carelessly.Above all it s little less fatty than your regular ice cream ,less ingredient used and easy to make.

So here's what you are going to need:-

* 4 cups whole milk
* 1 slice of white bread
* 1 teaspoon cornstarch
* 1/4 cup sugar, adjust to taste
* 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground cardamom (ilachi)
* 10 Almonds sliced
* few saffron strands


1. Remove the crust from all sides of the bread and cut the bread in small pieces.
2. Blend bread pieces, cornstarch, and a 1/2 cup of milk, making smooth paste and set aside.


3. Boil remaining milk (3.5 cups) in nonstick frying pan on medium high heat.Stir milk frequently to keep the milk from burning on the bottom of the frying pan. Stir the sides of the pan to avoid scalding.After milk comes to boil, let the milk boil for some more time till 3 1/2 cups reduces to 2 1/2 cups.

4. Add the bread mixture to the milk in frying the pan and cook for another 4 minutes, reducing the heat to medium. Bread and cornstarch are added to reduce the water crystallizing in kulfi during freezing.Next add sugar and Almonds and cook for 2 more minutes.Turn off the heat and add cardamom powder and saffron strands.


5. Cool the milk to room temperature and pour into molds.

It will take about 6-7 hours to be ready to serve.
As usual my daughter gave me the approval of super taste by not getting distracted by anything untill she finished the whole kulfi and here she is busy without any inhibition of people looking at her with kulfi smeared around her mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment