Mustard greens are natures little secret. It is one of the most nutritious plants you can eat. Mustard greens belong to the same family as Broccoli and Collards. It is quite a spicy little plant.Mustard were often used for their extremely green chlorophyll. The taste is a bit bitter perhaps that is due to the many minerals found in the leaves. Mustard greens may possibly help with asthma and other respiratory problems. The magnesium in mustard greens helps to smooth the walls of the bronchial tubes.Mustard greens are low in calories and contain a large amount of antioxidants. They provide an excellent source of vitamins B6, C, and E, folic acid,calcium, carotene, manganese,copper, and fiber. They also offer a very good source of phosphorus, vitamins B1 and B2,magnesium, protein, potassium,and iron.
Mustard greens once cooked go very well with pretty much anything like chapati,rice ,as a side dish and the best combination is with corn tortilla/makke ke rotte.
Here is what you are going to need:-
1. One bunch of mustard greens(we buy from whole foods as it is organic and pesticides free)
2. Half bunch of spinach
3. 5 cloves of garlic
4. one inch big piece of ginger
5. one green chili
6. butter one table spoon
7. one teaspoon of vegetable oil
8. salt to taste.
9. 1/2 table spoon cornflour
1) Clean and wash the leaves(mustard and spinach)
2) Put the leaves and 1/2 cup of water in the pressure cooker and add a little salt.(Do not add too much salt as mustard greens are salty in it self.)Cook for two whistles and let the pressure come out on its own.
3) Blend the cooked leaves with one green chili into a fine paste along with the leftover water in the cooker.(Add more chili if you want more spicy)
4) peel ginger and garlic and mince them with your knife as fine as you can.
5) In a pan heat the oil and add minced ginger and garlic together.Let it cook for some time till well cooked but do not let it turn brown.
6) Now add the pureed greens.
7) Add corn flour.Stir every thing well and taste a little.If needed add some more salt according to your taste.Cover and let it cook for some time on medium heat.It takes about 6-7 minutes untill you get the right consistency.It should not be very liquidy nor very runny.It should be like thick batter of idli.
8)Transfer it into a bowl and add butter/ghee on top and stir.Serve hot with corn tortilla/makke ke rotte and spicy chili-garlic chutney.
This a very hearty meal with full of nutrition.A good way to feed your kids greens.My two year daughter loves to dip pieces of corn tortilla in mustard greens and relishes it.
1. Adding spinach takes out some spiciness of mustard greens and makes the whole dish very creamy.
2. Adding butter or ghee is must to bring out the flavor.
3. Never add roasted corn flour.Raw corn flour gives the creamy texture in the dish.